Credit Transferred from Other Law Programs (Visiting at Other Institutions)

In certain circumstances, Charleston School of Law students may earn course credit towards their J.D. requirements for law courses not taken at the Law School. For example, students could earn course credit:

  • as a visiting student at another ABA accredited law school, or
  • through a program co-sponsored by the Charleston School of Law, such as the Stetson Summer Abroad Programs.

In all cases, students must follow proper procedures for obtaining advance permission for these types of courses.1

1. Policy and Procedures

a.  Students must request and receive written permission from the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, or such person designated by the Dean, before registering for programs outside of the Charleston School of Law.

b. Approval will be granted only when the student’s continued presence in the Charleston area places an exceptional hardship on the student. An example of a qualifying circumstance would be the onset of a severe illness of a close family member that requires the student’s presence outside of the Charleston area. In addition, absent exigent circumstances, approval will not be granted for more than 15 hours of transfer credit.

2. Eligibility

A student may count credits earned during non-resident programs towards his or her graduation requirements if he or she requests and receives written permission from the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs , or such person designated by the Dean, before registering for the program. Students must demonstrate that all of the following conditions are met:

a. The student must have satisfactorily completed one academic calendar year at the Charleston School of Law.

b. The student must be enrolled and in good standing at the Charleston School of Law.

c. The program must have been approved by the ABA.

d. The student must also demonstrate that the course is essential to his or her intellectual or practice objectives.

e. The course must not interfere with any requirement for graduation.

3. Course Credit and Grades

After attending an approved program, students must submit an official transcript from the program or school to the Associate Dean through the Office of the Registrar within eight weeks of completing the program.

a. Programs sponsored by the Charleston School of Law

For programs sponsored by the Charleston School of Law, such as the Stetson Summer Abroad program, students will receive the letter grade assigned by the non-resident program. In the event numerical scores are assigned, those scores will be converted to the comparable Charleston School of Law letter grades.

b. Other Programs

 For other programs, a P/T will be recorded for students who receive a C or better in such a non-resident course.  If a student earns a grade of C-, D+, D, or D-, the student will receive no course credit.  An F/T will be recorded for students who receive an F, or who otherwise fail to successfully complete, such a non-resident course and that F/T is factored into a student’s GPA.  Credit from other programs is considered transfer credit, but does not count towards the twelve-credit hour cap on Pass/Fail courses that may count towards the number of credit hours required for graduation.

To request permission to earn credit from other programs for Charleston School of Law students, please follow the below links:

Students should contact the Office of Financial Affairs as quickly as possible to determine whether a study away program is eligible for financial aid.


[1] Students who make plans (paying seat deposits, buying airline tickets, or arranging housing, for example) without following the proper Charleston School of Law procedures, including contacting the Office of Financial Aid, risk incurring costs for study that may not be approved.

Read more