Student Spotlight – Gabrielle Grimmett

Gabrielle Grimmett, 3L Gabrielle Grimmett headshot

Undergraduate School: Hobart and William Smith Colleges

Hometown: Samford, Conn.

1) Why did you choose Charleston Law?

I chose the Charleston School of Law because of the amazing faculty. I love that they have an open-door policy because it allows me to meet with my professors one-on-one and not only ask questions about class materials but also get to know them. I also had never been to Charleston before attending Charleston Law and was excited to start law school in one of the most beautiful cities in the country.

2) Congratulations on your selection to the Equal Justice Works Veterans Legal Corps and your summer placement with Legal Assistance of Western New York. How was your experience there?

I’ve always enjoyed helping others, which inspires me to use my law degree to become a public servant. My experience with Equal Justice Works Veterans Legal Corps helped me gain experience in public interest law and help veterans and other low-income or homeless clients in need of  the legal assistance they deserve but cannot afford. Working with veterans and their families was a challenging but rewarding opportunity.

3) What do you enjoy doing in Charleston when not in class or studying?

I enjoy hanging out with my friends and exploring downtown Charleston.

4) What is your best advice for new law students?

Take care of yourself and take law school one day at a time. Law school is difficult, but it’s a great experience. I was super nervous coming into law school during my 1L year and thought that law school was going to be overwhelming, but you’ll be just fine. Also, get to know your professors. They are there to help you and make sure you’re understanding the material. If you don’t understand something, be sure to meet with them one-on-one after class as soon and as often as possible.