Applying for Financial Aid

Applying for Financial Aid

Students are eligible to receive aid (scholarships, loans, VA benefits, etc.) up to their established cost-of-attendance budget. (A student’s cost-of-attendance budget includes tuition and fees plus a reasonable amount for room and board, books/supplies, and miscellaneous expenses for the academic year). The maximum amount allocated for room and board, books/supplies, and miscellaneous expenses in 2017-18 is $22,636.

For the 2017-18 school year, per semester tuition is $20,298 for full-time J.D. students and $16,309 for part-time J.D. students. All students pay an annual Student Bar Association fee of $120. Beginning fall 2017, and any start term thereafter, each newly enrolled first-year student, and any entering transfer student classified as a first-year student, will pay a Student Success Fee of $832. Students who enroll in the spring semester will also pay the per semester tuition rate for their second semester (summer term). For all other J.D. students, tuition for Maymester and Summer semesters is charged on a per credit hour rate of $1,335.

How to Apply for Federal Student Aid

In order to apply for federal student aid you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For an overview of what federal student aid is and how it works, please read the Federal Student Aid Overview. You must also complete the Direct Unsubsidized Loan Request Form and Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Request Form and submit them to the Office of Financial Aid. Please see below for the forms necessary to apply for financial aid for the 2017-18 academic year.

Fall 2017 Entering Student Financial Aid Forms
Returning Student Financial Aid Forms
VA Benefits Forms

The Charleston School of Law is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Veterans can learn more about the program and eligibility by clicking here. In order to process your benefits, please fill out the following forms:

Please refer to the Financial Aid Checklist to help guide you through the financial aid process.

All students may also apply for need-based scholarship funds through the Office of Admission. You can read more about the need-based scholarship application process here.

Financial Aid Resources

Please contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss federal and private loan options, as well as directions on how to secure loans with a chosen lender.  The Office of Financial Aid can be contacted by email; phone, 843.377.1102; or fax, 843.720.1252.

Other Web resources: