Alumnus Nathan Senn making a “good case” for Laurens as new mayor

March 12, 2019 – Regardless of where Charleston School of Law alumnus Nathan Senn (’09) lived, his ties to Laurens, S.C. kept drawing him home. Senn, 35, was elected mayor of the upstate city of almost 9,000 last week and will be sworn-in during a regular City Council meeting on March 19. He wants everyone to know that Laurens is “open for business.” Nathan Senn headshot

“My family lives on a farm just outside the Laurens city limits, and my first alma mater, Clemson University, is relatively close. With many of the ‘old guard’ attorneys retiring, I saw the opportunity to build a strong law practice in my hometown. I enjoyed living and practicing in Charleston, but after a while, the call to return home just grew too strong to resist,” Senn explained.

In the spring of 2016, Senn relocated his law practice, focusing on family, business, and estate law, from Charleston to Laurens. He settled in quickly, purchasing the second oldest home in downtown Laurens, built in 1820. Senn also became active in the community. He served as the chair of the Main Street Laurens Board, is an active member of the First Presbyterian Church of Laurens, and recently taught business law as an adjunct professor at nearby Presbyterian College.

Senn did not think about running for mayor until Charleston Law alumnus Jim Todd (’13) approached him last winter.

“After serving on several boards in town with Nathan, I quickly realized that he and I shared the same passion and hope for the city of Laurens. We needed someone motivated, who would  be willing to solicit new businesses, as well as help improve existing businesses,” Todd said

“After speaking with Jim, I felt the responsibility to step up and use my legal training and experience to make a good case for Laurens,” Senn said. “Just as I advocate for my clients, I will advocate for Laurens.”

As mayor, Senn plans to attract more unique retail stores and restaurants to Laurens. He also plans to market Laurens as an enjoyable place to live for those wishing to escape the hectic pace of Greenville and as a great place to visit for vacationers traveling to and from the North Carolina mountains.

“Nathan had a great plan and vision for the city while running for office,” Todd said. “I am very excited about the potential and future for Laurens.”

Story by:  Michelle Mensore Condon

Photo:  Provided