Charleston Law wins National Tax Moot Court Competition for the seventh year in a row

FEB. 6, 2018 – Although the New England Patriots’ Super Bowl dynasty came to an end on Sunday, the Charleston School of Law’s tax moot court team celebrated its seventh national championship in a row in St. Pete Beach, Fla.

Second-year law students Arielle Larsen (Purdue University ’15), Devin Hludzik (University of Central Florida ’16), and Brittany Point (University of Toledo ’15) defeated a strong team from the University of Alabama in Sunday’s final round in front of three sitting U.S. Tax Court judges.

2018 National Tax Moot Court Champions

Point recalled when she began her involvement with moot court, Professor Todd Bruno, faculty advisor to the moot court and trial advocacy teams, described the experience as “life changing.” She initially was skeptical but after this past weekend, she understands.

“Participating in my first external competition has changed my life immeasurably,” Point said. “I cannot accurately describe how much I appreciate this experience and how much admiration and respect I have for all my teammates and coaches.”

Alumna Anna Boning (’17), currently an LLM student in tax at Georgetown University Law Center and a two-time Charleston Law tax champion, coached the team with assistance from second-year student coach Stephanie Hooper.

“After working with Professor Kristin Gutting on this competition when I was in law school, I appreciated the opportunity to pay it forward,” said Boning, who went to great lengths to coach the team while living in the Washington, D.C. area. “Every member of our team brought something unique and important to the table, and I am so fortunate to share this experience with them. I could not be more proud of their success.”

For more information about the Charleston School of Law Moot Court Board, click here.